Monday, October 19, 2015

13th - 19th October 2015



​This week has been a very busy, I have met two 70's with Elder Charles coming on Tuesday I was very lucky and got to have an interview with him he was telling me a lot about how the mission is just 1 step in life and that he felt like my purpose as a missionary is maybe not to baptize but to either strengthen members, companions or maybe just be a shining light in someones life which gave me a lot of hope as this week we still don't have any investigators, we contacted a lot of people and got 4 numbers and that is it. All I know is I'm working hard so if I do that the rest is on the Lord's errand.
About 30 minutes ago I got out of a meeting with another 70 and someone high up in taking care of church history as there is a lot of church history around here and the 70 that visited was Elder Hamula who used to be in charge of our area and he knows stake president and a lot about our stake as I think he said he called President Valdez as our Stake President, well he was saying he a lot to do with Gippsland Stake and will be having dinner with stake president's wife and daughter back in America soon, so that was really cool he had a lot of good thoughts about missionary work here and how people are many interested in our Plan of Salvation and the Joseph Smith story.
Well I cannot believe it has already been 2 weeks out here!  It has gone pretty quick, but at the same time 22 months seems like forever away! I finally had normal church on Sunday so that was nice, I'm slowly understanding little bit by bit more with the language. It is fun contacting people when you have a line that you can say, I'm going to try my best to come up with different things to say to people but it takes time, it's so hard to get good language study in when you cant really hold many conversations with people because they get rid of you after you say 2 words, it's fine though I try to speak as much as I can with my companion.
I don't know what else to really say except that I am enjoying it out here although it's hard you can always find ways to have fun, I'm looking forward to this week I really hope we can find an investigator. The food is here is actually really nice, especially the bakeries, they have this thing called a burek which is amazing if you google it you will see what it looks like but yeah I am loving all the food here.
On Thursday night we went to a members house for dinner and his name is Zoran, he has been a member for 15 years and is a gypsy so he lives in a gypsy village and is quite poor, all the houses around where he lived were just little shanties and yeah so we went there shared a message and the word around the mission is you don't eat at Zoran's house but yeah he served us up some rice pudding which looked disgusting, just mushy rice and that was it but yeah I just downed it at quick as possible, it wasn't too bad really but I wouldn't have it again that is for sure. 
So some strange things about the Balkans so far...
- The light switch for rooms are all on the outside
- the traffic lights are a little different 
- They love tomato sauce on everything
- No one smiles in photos
- Stray dogs and cats everywhere
- Cant walk 5 minutes without seeing a bakery
- They don't have dryers at all
- They drive on the wrong side of the road
- EVERYONE takes the bus
That is just a few but there is more I'm just struggling to think of them.
On the bright side it has been really good hanging out with the members, we have been working with a guy who is an inactive named Vladan so we went to KFC and chilled with him and talked with him for a bit, he can speak pretty good english so that was nice to hear from him. This week we will try and set up a basketball game with David, Andrea and Vladan as they are all our age and like basketball, so that should be good.
That is about all that has happened this week, it has been pretty busy and crazy and I promise I will send some photos as soon as I get to the church as they wont let me send anything here at the internet cafe.






















so yeah some of the photos are of where I live the ones with the castle is a place in Belgrade where Thomas S Monson dedicated the land of Yugoslavia some of them are the communist building which are just everywhere, one is of my favorite bakery ! :) I will get some more photos with me in it later, my comp has some and I will get them to fwd them to me next week, do you think you could send these photos to like Asher and Teagan and Richard and Abby Llerena :) thanks! love you's
--
Elder Winfield

Starješina Winfield

Старешина Винфилд 

Adriatic North Mission 

No comments:

Post a Comment